Hi, I’m Rebecca Thomas.
I’m a content editor and content writer. My purpose is to use my skills and experience to help you build your business.
I’m not your infant school teacher. I’m not all crossings-out. I’m more than spelling, grammar and syntax.
I make your words work harder for you. I help you tell your story to customers with clarity, simplicity and trust.
I’m a qualified senior journalist. I specialised in content editing – making stories clear, accurate and easy to read – and have 20 years’ experience in print and digital media.
I spent more than 10 years at the British Medical Association, producing the weekly magazine for the UK’s doctors.
Before that, I was deputy editor of two weekly newspaper series, covering two diverse areas, for a decade. (We were social media before social media). I loved meeting people and reporting on their lives, work, fears and dreams.
I learnt how to:
- be clear. Complex issues can be explained in clear language, to include not exclude readers. Jargon can be put in its place.
- be consistent. Readers trust a consistent style.
- get the details right. Accuracy matters to everyone, not just lawyers.
- tell people’s stories. And make others want to read them.
- hit deadlines. It was my job to get publications ready to print, on time, every week, for 20 years
- intermediate member of the Society for Editors and Proofreaders and am working towards professional membership.
The SfEP is the professional body for people who strive to make text accurate and readable. It is seeking chartered status.
- member of 26 – a body for professional writers that aims to inspire a love of words in business, and life.
- successfully completed the Committees of Advertising Practice (CAP) / Advertising Standards Authority e-learning courses on Misleading Advertising, and Promotions.